Due to the nanoporous structure of the dielectric material, products produced by the aluminum oxide technology have significant competitive advantages. So, with a pore size of 65-90 nm and filling them with a special filler it became possible to achieve high thermal conductivity over 125 W/mK and a high breakdown voltage over 3 kV at a relatively low price.
General advantages of al oxide PCBs and modules:
- The cost does not depend on dielectric price
- Stable dielectric properties under different climatic influences
- High thermal durability
- Large panels production
- High density mounting
- Simple technological cycle of production
- Recyclable and eco-friendly due to prepreg absence
Aluminum oxide products, substrates and packages demonstrate the highest reliability standards required in the semiconductor electronics packaging. All aluminum oxide PCB and LE passed successfully extensive reliability tests. Tests were done according to the most stringent requirements commonly used in the industry.
- Thermal cycling – substrates and assemblies passed numerous and extensive thermal cycling tests, and reached repeatedly over 1,000 cycles and 3,000 cycles between -55 to +125 ℃ without failure.
- HAST tests for molded devices
- Mechanical vibration tests for assemblies
- X-ray analysis following preconditioning and soldering processes
- HTHH tests: Yield degradation following high temperature and high humidity preconditioning and high and low temperature storage
- Via chain resistance stability
- Adhesion and delamination tests
Thus it can be argued that the aluminum oxide products surpass counterparts by main consumer properties (thermal conductivity is hundred times higher, price is less by 20-30%, two times more reliable). It is also important that the technology is environmentally safe (i.e. received products have no pre-preg and can be easily recycled).
The aluminum oxide technology also enables creating PCB and modules in any size and shape, which makes it possible to invent new design and engineering solutions. Due to the high thermal conductivity it is possible to perform high-density packaging of component and maintain desired temperature and productivity at the same time. Products manufactured by the aluminum oxide technology easy to use and do not require drilling or metallization processes.